Cornhole is a fun game where players take turns to pitch small bags filled with corn (sand or beans can also be used) at a raised platform with a hole in the far end. A corn bag in the hole scores 3 points, and one on the platform scores one point. The game continues till a player reaches a score of 21.
The platform is generally 4’x2′ in measurement and made of wood. However, one can also use plastic as a substitute. The bags typically measure 6’x6′. They are made of duck cloth and filled with dry feed corn.
How to Play?
- Set the boards directly facing each other with 27 feet between the front edge of each board.
- Choose which side of the board you would like to throw from.
- First, you throw one bag into the hole, after which your opponent gets her or his turn to repeat the step.
- To prevent a foul, your feet should not go past the front edge of the board. If you make a foul, then you get pelted with cornhole bags!
- Once all the bags are tossed to the other side, add the score.
Before you begin, pick which side of the board you will throw from. You can play this game individually or in a group.
If it is a two-player game, you can begin by throwing from the left side of the board. Then, you can walk directly across to the other board and throwback from the right side.
In a four-player game, your partner’s pitching bag will be opposite and across from your position. So, pick your bags and get ready to play!
Now, scoring is pretty simple in this game. As mentioned above, a bag in the hole equals 3 points, and one on the board equals 1 point. The game goes on till the team reaches 21 points with a lead of 2 or more points.
The first team that wins two games is the winner of the match.
While playing the game, make sure that the surface does not have any debris that might spoil the bags. You should make sure that the boards are placed in a stable position to prevent moving while playing the game.
Cornhole players often use special lingo to talk about the game. Here is a list of some of the fun jargon:
- Woody Boarder: is used when someone’s bag that ends up on the board.
- Corn on the Cob: is used when someone puts every bag on the board.
- Nothin’ But Corn: is used when a bag is tossed through the hole without even touching the board.
- Cornhole, Holer, Corn in the Hole: is used when someone throws a bag in the hole.
- Dos Cornhole: is used when someone throws two bags in the hole.
- Holy Moly Triple Cornholy: is used when someone throws three bags in the hole.
- The Great Cornholio: A player who throws 4 bags in the hole. All the other players bow down to the cornholer
- Get That Corn Outta My Face!: is used when a player successfully counteracts their opponent’s attempt to score.